Monday 15 June 2020

Some more Macro MOD-ding with the: Tamron AF Aspherical 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 Macro

A few weeks ago, I blogged about a modified Canon kit lens, in order to become a decent Macro lens. With a second shoot, when I purchased a flash to enable better macro lighting, I was so pleased with the results, that I decided to try it again with a different lens.

I still had a Tamron AF Asperical 28-80 f3.5-5.6 77D  lens around that I tested before but did not want to keep. eBay would maybe have given me $10 or so, so better to have some fun.

First step was to remove the front element. That was fairly easy by peeling back the rubber on the barrel, and removing a few screws.


I then used a hammer and screw driver to knock out the glass from that front element.


To protect the inside of the lens against dirt, I recommend putting a clear filter on the front element. I had plenty around, so use a Skylight 1A filter.


And this is the result... looks like a normal lens, but is a macro monster. Do remember that you used to focus with the front element, so that capability is lost. You know focus by rocking your camera back and fort. 


And a macro minster it really is. As you can see, depending on the zoom range, you can have a enlargement on a full frame sensor from around 1:2 all the way to almost 2:1, while keeping decent sharpness and focus depth. It is however a little less enlargement then I was getting from the Canon lens. But not bad for a lens I only paid $14 for. Not bad at all.




Sample Pictures:

1/250 sec. f/14 ISO1600

1/250 sec. f/18 ISO1600

1/250 sec. f/18 ISO3200
Orb-Weaver Spider

1/250 sec. f/18 ISO1600
Detail of a Pea Snap

1/250 sec. f/18 ISO1600
Ant

1/250 sec. f/18 ISO1600
Orb Weaver Spider

1/250 sec. f/22 ISO100
Johnson Jumping Spider

1/250 sec. f/36 ISO100
Johnson Jumping Spider

No comments:

Post a Comment